Archive for the ‘Poplave’ Category
Areas of North East Puerto Rico, including the capital, San Juan, suffered flash floods after 5 cm of rain fell on Thursday 5 December last week.
The situation is now getting back to normal, but over the weekend streets were inundated and many vital roads were closed.
In San Juan, the city’s ageing drainage system again came under scrutiny after it had failed to clear the heavy rainfall from the city’s homes, highways and streets.
In Santurce, a distrcit of San Juan, shelters were set up in local schools for those displaced by the flooding.
In another suburb of San Juan, a roof collapsed on a building in Las Carreras Loiza after the heavy rainfall.
In total there were as many as 18 districts under flood warnings on Friday, including Fajardo , Ceiba, Naguabo, Las Piedras and Luquillo.
Other districts or municipalities included Bayamón, Canóvanas, Ciales, Corozal, Guaynabo, Manati, Morovis, Trujillo Alto, Vega Alta, Vega Baja, Dorado, Toa Alta, Toa Baja, Carolina, Cataño, Rio Grande and Loiza. All of these warnings are believed to have since been lifted although some threat of urban flooding and also waterborne disease still remain.
Published on Dec 4, 2013
Flooding in Kuantan and the rural area.
In parts of southern and eastern Kentucky, heavy rain and flooding were bigger issues than ice and snow Friday.
Part of Highway 30 near Jackson, in Breathitt County, had to be closed Friday night because of a rock slide.
Police say heavy rain loosened rocks on a hill, causing them to fall onto the road.
Road crews cleaned that up, but a short time later, more rocks fell onto the road.
Other rock slides were reported elsewhere in eastern Kentucky Friday night.
High water was also reported over roads in Laurel and Pulaski County.
A WKYT iWitness viewer sent us a picture of a Jeep stranded in high water in Pulaski County.
The floods in Malaysia now affect 4 states. Over 50,000 people have now been evacuated from their homes and are staying in relief centres. Rain is still forecast for much of the affected area.
1 dead, 2 missing; 38,323 evacuated and staying in relief centres; 122 relief centres across seven districts. Kuantan worst affected, with 30,307 staying in relief centres there. Rompin (4,289 evacuated), Pekan (3,037), Maran (637), Jerantut (25) Lipis (21) and Temerloh (7) have also been affected. As much as 243.6 mm of rain fell in 24 hours in Kuantan on 3 December.
1 dead, 7,780 evacuated; 101 relief centres. Floods have now struck in Besut district. Kemaman district worst affected, with 3,840 victims in relief centres there. Dungun (2,130 evacuated), Hulu Terenganu (1,654) and Marang (54) are also badly affected.
986 evacuated. Kuala Krai is the worst affect, with 646 evacuated. Machang (71 evacuated), Pasir Mas (24), Pasir Puteh (109) and Tanah Merah (136) also affected. River levels are of most concern in Kelantan, in particular Sungai Lebir, Sungai Kelantan and Sungai Golok. On 5 December, the river levels were:
Sungai Lebir at Tualang – 36.19ms (danger level 35m)
Sungai Kelantan at Tangga Krai – 25.35m (danger level 25m)
Sungai Golok at Rantau Panjang – 10.21m ( danger level 9m)
8,250 evacuated. Mersing was the worst affected, with 5,694 people at relief centres. Segamat (1,081), Kluang (975), Kota Tinggi (212), Muar (217) and Batu Pahat (71) were also affected.
Floods in Malaysia caused by heavy rains have left a teenager dead and forced authorities to evacuate thousands of people, officials said Wednesday.
Some 19,000 people have been relocated to evacuation centres set up in schools in the east coast states of Pahang and Terengganu and Johor in the south, an official and news reports said.
A 17-year-old boy who was fishing with his father in Terengganu drowned after being swept away in a swollen river, a state police official said.
A Meteorological Department official said river levels continued to rise due to the high tide and water being released from dams, but the body expected rain to ease in the flood-hit areas.
“It’s still raining today, but we expect the rain to stop by tomorrow,” he told AFP. “Then the situation will improve.”
The department issued an “orange” alert for Pahang and Terengganu on Monday, warning residents to be prepared for a possible evacuation.
Floods caused by annual monsoon rains that begin around November are common in the Southeast Asian country.
Malaysia floods: More than 7,500 evacuated from Johor
More than 7,500 people have been evacuated from Johor, with the coastal town of Mersing being the worst hit with about 5,450 displaced by the floods, said the Malaysia Civil Defence Department on Wednesday.
Responding to queries from The Straits Times, Johor Civil Defence state director, Colonel Ghazali Abdul Rahman, said there are about 7,549 people from 2,076 households who have been evacuated as of 4pm. Most have been brought to 47 relief centres in Johor, three of which were set up on Wednesday to handle the increase in evacuees.
Col. Ghazali, who is based at the Segamat civil defence operations centre, said that even though rescue operations have since stopped in Segamat, which has 1,081 victims, his rescue teams will remain on the look out for more victims as the flood could spread from other areas like Rompin or Mersing to Segamat. “This is not the first time that we experience such floods,” he added. “The water will take time to subside… normally about one month.”
Published on Dec 3, 2013
School gardener Abdul Razak Abdul Samad is staying put even though thousands in his hometown of Kampung Pogoh have been evacuated after it was hit by floods on Sunday.
The 58-year-old, who has eight children aged 4 to 24, told The Straits Times on Wednesday, that he was staying behind to guard the house. His family is one of eight households living in Kampung Pogoh 2 in Segamat, one of the worst hit areas.
Mr Abdul Razak recalled how he was having breakfast at 8am on Sunday when his son noticed water rushing towards the house like huge waves.
“I shouted to my wife to pack our things quickly,” he said. “The water rose very fast but we managed to pack our things onto a lorry.”
The rain in Pahang has not let up, worsening the flood situation in five districts.
According to the state disaster operations room, the number of evacuees in Pekan, Maran, Rompin, Kuantan and Jerantut now numbered 11,721 as at 8am.
Kuantan was hit the worst with 4,148 victims, followed by Rompin (3,615), Pekan (2,716), Maran (1,179) and Jerantut (63).
Along with the major floods and non-stop rain, Kuantan folks were also now toughing out the disaster without electricity.
The heavy rainfall that first flooded parts of Trinidad on 26 and 27 November has continued to fall in central, south and south east parts of Trinidad.
This heavy rainfall, combined with the high tide of the morning of 1 December, has left parts the Manzanilla-Mayaro Main Road under as much as 50cm of water.
Some people were trapped in their homes along the road.
With the road inundated, any means of getting in or out of the area were shut off.
The Manzanilla-Mayaro Main Road is a coastal road, running alongside Cocos Bay and to the north, Manzanilla Bay. Behind the road is a mangrove – Nariva Swamp – which is thought to have been inudated in the floods brought by the heavy rainfall over the last few days.
It has been reported that the 8 mile / 13km stretch of road that runs along the coast was completely flooded.
Local residents have called for the road to be raised above sea level.
According to Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service (TTMS), the heavy rainfall in the region is associated with to inter-tropical convergence zone. Flood warnings were issued on Friday.
… Trinidad and Tobag has suffered flooding several times this year, in particular in September and May 2013.
… Italy has seen 9 major flood events during November, with a total of 28 people killed…
- 10 November: Flooding in Marche and Abruzzo killed 2 people.
- 28 November, 2012: Carrara. 200 mm of rain fell in just 2 hours. No fatalities.
- 12 November, 2012: Floods in Grosseto after heavy rainfall and nearby rivers broke their banks. 6 people died.
- 11 November, 2012: Floods in Massa and Carrara – 300 were displaced and 1 person died.
- 22 November, 2011: Floods in Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto. 3 people died.
- 4 November, 2011: Floods in Genoa, after 500mm of rain fell in just 5 hours. 4 rivers overflowed. 6 people died.
- 1 November, 2010: Flooding in Vicenza after 540mm of rain in 24 hours. 3 people died.
- 23 November, 2000: Floods in Liguria killed 4 people.
- 6 November, 2000: Flooding in western Liguria, killed 3 people.
For a full list of the floods, see 3b Meteo here.
A rain-driven flash flood collapsed a wall at a home in Argos, Greece, killing a 55-year-old woman who lived in a basement apartment, authorities said.
The woman was not identified in a report Monday.
The rain caused two rivers in the town to run over their banks, the report said.
Dozens of firefighters were called in to pump water out of basements in the region, the report said.
Floods struck yesterday, 1 December, in the city of Argos in the north eastern Peloponnese after two rivers in the area overflowed.
Emergency services were called out, but couldn’t save one woman who has been reported as killed in the floods after a wall collapsed in her home.
Houses and roads were inundated in the floods and a state of emergency has been declared in Argos.
Several other towns and villages in the region of the north-eastern Peloponnese have also been affected.
Many schools have been closed in the area. Emergency services called on residents to avoid driving in flood waters and near rivers.
Some 100 residents of the Kampung Kesing Orang Asli village in Rompin were evacuated today after heavy rain caused floods in the village.
A spokesman of the Pahang Fire and Rescue operations room said the villagers were moved out after the floodwaters rose to one metre.
He said they had yet to obtain a full picture of the evacuation process and relief centre.
A spokesman of the Pahang police flood operations room also said that they had yet to get the details of the evacuation.
He said the stretch of Jalan Sungai Lembing-Kuantan at Km28 near the Sungai Charu bridge was closed to all vehicles as floodwaters had risen to more than one metre there.
Heavy rain on the Libyan capital Tripoli have prompted city authorities to warn the two million inhabitants to take extreme precocious measures against huge floods.
The authorities asked people not to leave their homes and those who are stock somewhere outside their homes not to try to return on Saturday night as they might face danger if they did.
They asked families to contact their fellow ones and advise them to stay where they are.
Increased water levels on Tripoli streets, which lack modern sewage and water management facilities, has reached unprecedented levels during the last two days of heavy rain.
A large number of people have been trapped inside their cars and rescue teams have not been able to get them out so far due to a lack of resources.
The floods were a result of heavy rainfall on Saturday 30 November. Flood warnings were issued by the city authorities, requesting that people remain indoors where possible and not to drive vehicles in the flooded streets.
Such heavy rainfall, which lasted for around 2 days, is unusual in Tripoli, and has placed huge stress on the city’s old drainage system. There have also been cuts to power and communications.